Arnie Malham - Founder/President of Malham Leverage Group, cj Advertising, Legal Intake Professionals, Med View Services
After graduating from the University of Mississippi with a degree in finance, Arnie spent a year in First American National Bank’s training program. He then spent four years in sales at WTVF, Nashville’s local CBS affiliate.
In 1994, Arnie caught a break. He got fired, which was the catalyst for him to start cj Advertising, an agency focused solely on personal injury law firms. Built on a foundation of financial comparison models extracted from his bank experience, and advertising insight gained from his time at the TV station, the agency grew rapidly, as hard work and client loyalty paid off.
However, after years of pouring his heart into cj Advertising, Arnie realized he had created what he was trying to escape: an ordinary company with unfulfilled potential. Something had to change. That “something” was culture.
The Two Houses That Camel Culture Built
After experimenting with different incentives, business practices, and morale initiatives, Arnie discovered a winning formula for building a culture that attracts the best people, inspires the best work, and produces the best results.
Consequently, cj Advertising has transformed from something ordinary into the largest full-service legal advertising agency in the country. And it’s all because of culture.
- Gross revenue (2013): $34 million
- 45+ clients in more than 70 markets nationwide
- Recognized by multiple publications as one of Nashville’s best places to work
- 2012 Winner of Nashville Business Journal’s “Best in Business” award
In 2000, Arnie launched Legal Intake Professionals (LIP), a 24-hour call center just for personal injury law firms. Today, LIP’s 75+ intake specialists answer 20,000 calls a week for more than 150 law firms throughout the United States. Culture has played an integral role in LIP’s success, as it will in any business venture Arnie undertakes in the future.
- Gross revenue (2013): $4.5 million
- 1.7 million intakes since 2000
- More than 75+ employees working 24|7|365
- DiJulius Secret Service Summit, highest rated speaker in event history — 2012
- EO (Entrepreneur’s Organization, Nashville Chapter), President — 2010
- Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year, Regional Finalist — 2009
What Arnie Believes
Arnie believes that different is better than good; that outliers are fascinating; that mindset is everything; and he has no problem with getting it wrong until he gets it right.
Ask Arnie about: his family, his dog, EO, Scotch on the rocks, cigars on the porch, the book he’s reading, or (if you’re really daring) what cj stands for.